Steaks are a great source of protein! Red meat is a classic muscle building food, not only that but it can help you lose weight. Since red meat is so filling and satisfying you can eat a small amount and have that feel good sensation all the while dieting your way to a slimmer more awesome you.
A lot of people are scared of red meat because it's high saturated fat content, however, more and more studies are showing that saturated fat is not the problem. The problem is in a high percentage of carbohydrate calories or other processed foods that cause more problems. So beware of the types of foods that you are consuming along with your steak.
This can be a meal in and of itself and will lend itself to fit in with both paleo and most ketogenic diets.
Red meat offers a great deal of quality vitamins like vitamin and minerals B12, niacin, selenium, and zinc that keep our bones, metabolisms and hormones humming at a good beat.
Meat, it's what's for dinner!
- 3-5 Top Sirloin steaks
- Fresh Rosemary
- 1 large onion
- 1 pkg sliced white mushrooms
- 3-4T butter
- 1T kosher salt
- 1T coarse ground pepper
- 1T granulated garlic (or 2 minced garlic cloves)
- Prep your meat at least 6 hours ahead of time. Unpackage and sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper and granulated garlic (or fresh if you prefer).
- Pre-heat grill to at least 500 degrees. 750-800 degrees if you have a ceramic grill.
- Pre-heat large skillet at medium heat with butter.
- Slice onions and mushrooms, while pan is heating.
- Add onions and mushrooms to skillet, mixing frequently. Allow onions and mushrooms to absorb the butter and become softened.
- Add steaks to grill. Grill for desired doneness. About 5 minutes for 1 inch steaks then turn for another 3-4 minutes for medium rare.
- Let steaks sit for 6 minutes before serving to finish cooking.
- Top with sautéed mushrooms and onions. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 45||69.2%|
|Saturated Fat 16||80%|
|Total Carbohydrate 0||0|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Smash's Strength Lab
Jesse “Captain Smash” Howland is the owner of SMASH’s Strength Lab, which offers targeted personal training to reach a variety of fitness and physique goals. A natural bodybuilder, competitive powerlifter, certified personal trainer, and nutrition coach, Jesse is often the go-to resource for personal training Ottawa. He studied Exercise Science at Oregon State University and even trained at the world famous Gold’s Gym. He’s a former US Army Captain with the 86th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, a former blog writer at Veterans Fitness Career College, and former Chief Executive Officer at U.S. Army Forces Command (FORSCOM). His workouts and personal training are army-inspired to help reach your weightloss, athletic, or physique goals.